An almost life-sized image of this work and any new information we discover on the piece will be on view as part of Building Knowledge: Traditional African Art in the GW Permanent Collection through June 2016 in the 21st Street side cases on the first floor of the MPA Building.
What is this?
- This is a Makonde “Tree of Life.”
- The Makonde people are traditionally located in an area that stretches across the border between Mozambique and Tanzania.
- It came from an office on the Ashburn Campus, left behind when someone moved
- What is a “Tree of Life?”
- Who are all of these figures and what is the meaning of the work?
- Who owned this?
- How did it get from Africa to Ashburn?
- Can we trace this back to a specific person?